5 shelf exams done, only 1 left to go!! For the past 8 weeks on internal medicine, every week was a new attending, a new work flow, new patients, new team dynamics… I needed some constants to ground my days and that’s where food came to the rescue. Thanks to my super mom who prepared and froze me gallon-sized Ziplocs of steam buns, I looked forward to my 3-bun lunch everyday.
For breakfast, I needed something quick that would also keep me satiated for most of morning rounds. These muffins became another trusty constant. I discovered Kodiak Cakes at Costco and love the idea of their power product line. I’ve struggled to successfully incorporate protein powder into baking recipes so props to them for creating a fool-proof, economic mix. At 6g of protein for 100 cal a piece, you can feel free to eat one.. two.. or three…
Makes 12 servings
- 2 cups Kodiak Cakes Buttermilk Power Cakes Flapjack and Waffle Mix
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 medium overripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon*
- 1 tsp vanilla extract*
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips*
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped*
*Note: The base is very versatile. For a different variation, substitute the starred ingredients for other spices, flavorings, mix-ins, or toppings.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 12-well muffin tray.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except the toppings (e.g. dark chocolate chips, walnuts).
- Scoop the batter into the muffins liners and finish with toppings.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out with only a few crumbs.