I’m now on my last rotation of third year of medical school… surgery! The operating room is a special place that suits certain people. While I’m fascinated by today’s surgical possibilities, I’m just not one of those people. As a medical student, I get to “assist” the surgeon, i.e. hold instruments, suction, cut strings, and put in a few stitches. I have yet to experience the rite of passage that is being the med student that passes out in the OR (*knocks on wood), and I intend to keep it that way by keeping well-nourished with surgery snacks! Today’s recipe is just a few simple ingredients for a glycemic burst any time, any place.
Almond Blueberry Macaroons
Makes 17 macaroons
- 200g (3 cups) unsweetened coconut flakes
- 50g (1/2 cup) almond flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp blueberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, combine coconut flakes, almond flour, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt. Swirl in blueberry jam.
- Pack 1.5 tbsp of dough into a cookie scoop and transfer onto a lined baking sheet. Repeat for remaining dough.
- Bake for 20 minutes or till the edges are golden.