Chicken pot pie. Three short words that have me drooling back to my childhood days. Frozen from the grocery store or “fresh” from KFC, chicken pot pie was something I ate all the time as a kid and although oh so satisfying it was always far from being able to be considered a healthy meal. But with this rendition, that’s no longer the case! This recipe actually stemmed from my desire to work with a particular ingredient: artichoke hearts (specifically canned artichoke hearts for their convenience). Not enthused by the idea of the usual spinach artichoke dip, I racked my brain for a better idea and that’s when a look in the fridge at a Costco rotisserie chicken inspired me.
Packed with antioxidants and a great source of folate, dietary fiber, and vitamins C and K, artichoke and I are now glad to be more than just distant acquaintances. And although considerably light on the butter and oil, there’s no taste of skimping in this dish; the filling is rich and the the pastry is flaky, just like a pot pie should be. To make things even better, this pot pie is super quick to put together as the pie crust uses oil rather than the traditional solid fat-food processor method. But even when I come up with a dish I end up really loving, it’s not often I make it again simply because I’m always thinking about what new thing I want to try next. But everyone needs a trusty pot pie recipe in their culinary arsenal and this one is mine.
Artichoke Chicken Pot Pie
Makes 4 servings
For the sauce
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 an onion, diced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 cup reduced fat milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
For the filling
- 1/2 pound cooked rotisserie chicken breast, shredded
- 14 oz canned artichoke hearts, drained and sliced
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced white mushrooms
For the pie crust
- 150 g (1 1/4 cup) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp reduced fat milk
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- To make the sauce, cook the onions in the butter over medium heat until soft and translucent. Stir in the flour and cook for ~1 minute stirring constantly. Gradually stir in the chicken broth and milk. Season with salt and pepper and continue to cook the sauce until thickened. Set aside.
- To assemble the filling in a 9.5″ circular glass baking dish, layer in the chicken, artichoke hearts, carrots, and mushrooms. Pour the sauce over the chicken-vegetable mixture.
- To make the pie crust, stir together all the ingredients. Press the mixture into a disc and roll it out on a well-floured surface. Using your rolling pin as an aid, cover the filling with the dough.
- Cut a cross in the center to let the steam escape and bake for 35 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.