Although summer is the season when I have ample time to patiently proof and manually knead dough, these no-fuss dinner rolls require none of that. With an ambitious dinner already underway (made-for-the-first-time-ever drumsticks marinating, homemade-salad-vinaigrette-needed pear poaching, vegan-feta tofu pickling), I needed a quick bread option and this recipe fit the bill. These dinner rolls are by far the easiest bread I’ve ever made, but by the looks of them one would never know. Their crackled tops give them an immediate artisan appeal, while the initial crunch and subsequent chew of the first bite will go on to further confirm this deceivingly “artisan” distinction. As if ease and presentation aren’t big enough pluses, these guys are also completely healthy, packing in protein-rich Greek yogurt (and kicking out unhealthy butter or oil). Completely healthy, radiating artisan vibes in appearance and texture, yet incredibly quick and easy to make, it’s no wonder these have become one of my new go-to dinner rolls.
no-fuss GREEK YOGURT DINNER ROLLS
Makes 8 rolls (Loosely adapted)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (bread flour works too)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup lowfat milk
- Preheat oven to 425 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, sugar, salt).
- Add the wet ingredients (yogurt and milk) and stir until the dough comes together.
- Knead the dough a few times just so it forms a ball and turn the dough out onto a generously floured surface.
- Using a well-floured rolling pin, roll the dough out into a roughly 1″ thick circular disc.
- Using a pizza cutter, divide the dough into 8 equal wedges.
- Place the dough pieces on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Serve warm.