Marshmallow is an enormous icy snowman born from Elsa’s powers. He serves as a brute bodyguard charged with keeping intruders away from her ice palace. The menacing white beast doesn’t say much, but he packs a powerful punch. – DisneyWiki
Personal body guard to Queen Elsa and security guard of the North Mountain, Marshmallow is not as soft and fluffy as his name would suggest. Nonetheless, he inspired a bread that’s rightfully so! With some pixie dusted imagination, this challah bread transforms into Anna and Kristoff’s “rocky road” escape route. Just imagine them swooshing down slippery almond slices, dodging mini marshmallow snowballs, all whilst swerving to avoid solid chunks of semisweet chocolate! (Although knowing Anna, she’d probably purposely crash into those chocolate chunks 😛 )
Hold on tight because we’re sliding down to number 5 of 6 in our Frozen bread series!
Marshmallow’s Rocky Road Challah
Makes 1 loaf
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp rapid rise yeast
- 2 eggs, divided
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks, divided
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- In a medium bowl, dissolve the sugar into the water. Sprinkle the yeast over top and let sit. Once frothy, mix in 1 1/2 eggs (reserve remaining 1/2 for the egg wash), oil, and salt until homogenous.
- In a large bowl, measure out the flour. Make a well in the center of the flour and add the wet mixture. Stir ingredients together initially with chopsticks and then knead dough by hand for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic (if dough is too sticky, add up to 1/2 cup flour as needed).
- Form the dough into a ball and place into an oiled bowl. Turn the dough in the bowl a few times to lightly coat the dough with a thin film of oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled.
- Punch down the dough and knead in 1/2 cup chocolate chunks. Divide the dough into 3 equal portions. Shape each portion into long strands and braid the strands into one loaf. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in a draft free place for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- To make the egg wash, thin reserved 1/2 egg with 1 tsp water. Right before baking, brush the loaf with the egg wash. Top with sliced almonds.
- Bake the challah for 30 minutes (bread should be golden brown). Remove bread from the oven and top with 1/2 cup chocolate chunks and mini marshmallows. Return challah to the oven for another minute or two, letting the chocolate melt and the marshmallows expand slightly. Serve warm and transform any leftovers into french toast the next morning!
MARSHMALLOW’S ROCKY ROAD CHALLAH
Makes 4 slices
- 4 slices of challah
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- Dash of cinnamon
- Dash of nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- To make the batter, beat together all ingredients (except the bread). Dunk both sides of each slice into the batter, completely soaking the bread all the way through.
- Over medium-high heat, cook the slices in a lightly oiled pan until golden on both sides. Serve warm.
Marshmallow: Rocky Road Challah Sven: Buckwheat Carrot Toast Elsa: Iced Royal-tea Loaf Olaf: Steamed Buns (Mantou) Anna: Chocolate Ban-anna Bread