Ooey gooey and oh so melty are just the words to describe… s’mores! This beloved campfire dessert can get a little messy, but it’s that finger-licking messiness that contributes to their irresistible childhood charm. It’s not every day, however, that one can pitch a tent under the stars, listen to the crackle of a campfire, and roast marshmallows. Admittedly, I’ve tried to roast marshmallows over a candle during times of s’mores nostalgia, but as one might imagine, the effect is not nearly the same. Inspired by s’mores, today’s cupcakes repackage all of the familiar flavors into a special treat of their own.
Graham Cracker Crust
- ¾ cups graham crackers, crumbled
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
¼ box Devil’s Food Cake:
- 115g devil’s food cake mix
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup water
⅓ box Angel Food Cake:
- 150g angel food cake mix
- ¼ cup + 3 tbsp water
- 2 large egg whites
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- Pinch of cream of tartar
For the crust:
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line cupcake pan with liners.
- Combine crumbled graham crackers and melted butter. Scoop 1 tbsp of the mixture into each liner and compact it into a flat layer. Bake for 5 min and set aside while you prepare the cake mixes.
For the cake:
- Combine all ingredients and prepare as instructed on the box mixes.
- Using a 1 ½ tbsp cookie scoop, layer one scoop of devil’s food cake batter, topped with two scoops of angel food cake batter into each liner.
- Bake for 17 min. After ~12 min of baking, however, cover the cupcakes with a sheet of aluminum foil to prevent the angel food cake layer from over-browning.
For the frosting:
- Combine egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar over a double boiler. Whisk continuously until the mixture has reached 160°F. Immediately remove from heat and beat the mixture until stiff glossy peaks form. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes for an added layer of marshmallow-y goodness! Optional: Broil frosted cupcakes for 1-2 minutes for a toasted look. If you have a mini blow torch that’s even better! (The outer surface will also cook slightly yielding a marshmallow-like texture.)