It’s our friend Katrina’s 20th birthday and we’re celebrating with guava! The first time Felicia and I had guava was when we went to visit Katrina in Miami last summer. We went to 100 Montaditos for lunch and tried 6 very different montaditos. The guava one ended up being all of our favorites and Felicia and I have been entertained by guava ever since! Happy birthday to our guava-loving triplet! We’re sending some virtual Florida sunshine with these Guava Jelly-Filled Key Lime Cupcakes with Creme Fraiche Frosting!
Guava Jelly-Filled Key Lime Cupcakes
with Creme Fraiche Frosting
Makes 4 cupcakes
For the cupcakes (adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction):
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg white, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tbsp lime zest
- 1 tbsp butter, room temperature
- 1 tbsp lime juice
For the filling:
- 2 tsp guava jelly
For the frosting:
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche
- 1 1/2 tbsp guava jelly
- Key lime slices for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line cupcake pans with liners.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Whisk together buttermilk and egg white in a separate bowl.
- In a larger bowl, combine sugar, lime zest, and butter. Beat with an electric mixer until fluffy (~1 min).
- Beat in lime juice and a 1/3 of the dry mixture, followed by 1/2 the wet mixture. Continue alternating additions, ending with the last 1/3 of the dry mixture.
- Beat the batter for a good 2 minutes to ensure thorough mixing and an aerated batter.
- Scoop batter into liners and bake for 18-22 minutes or until cupcakes are springy to the touch. Let cool.
- To fill the cupcakes, use a paring knife to core out the center of each cupcake, fill with guava jelly, and re-top with a piece of the cut-out piece.
- To make the frosting, use an electric mixer to beat together the creme fraiche and guava jelly until smooth. Put back in the fridge to firm up a bit before frosting (~30 min).
Today may have been yet another stormy summer day in SoFlo, but put this all together and you’ve got a bright taste of South Florida sunshine!